Changes for Skilled workers employment entry under the New Zealand – China FTA

Queen City Law Immigration team have forged a strong track record procuring temporary employment entry for skilled workers from all across Asia, Americas and Europe. Now under the New Zealand – China Free Trade Agreement (FTA) some of the rules governing skilled migrants have changed. If you are a skilled migrant wanting to work in NZ or an employer looking to attain a visa for a new worker with crucial skills contact our Immigration lawyers. url

The wide ranging FTA China and NZ hold  improved the passage for skilled migrants in both directions. The FTA includes commitments for skilled workers from China to enter New Zealand for temporary employment, without labour market testing (but subject to specified qualifications and work experience requirements, registration if required, and the requirement for a bona fide job offer), if they work in one of the following occupations:

  • Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners
  • Chinese chefs
  • Mandarin teachers’ aides
  • Wushu martial arts (including tai chi) coaches
  • Chinese tour guides.

For more information, see immigration NZ  China Special Work Category.

In addition, a maximum of 1000 skilled Chinese workers at any one time may be granted temporary employment for up to three years, in specified occupations where New Zealand has a skills shortage. Entry is limited to no more than 100 workers in each occupation at any one time.

The list of occupations (which all have specific qualification and experience requirements) is as follows:

  • Auditor
  • Automotive Electrician
  • Boatbuilder
  • Computer Application Engineer
  • Design Engineer – Electronics / Product Engineer
  • Diesel Mechanic
  • Early Childhood Teacher
  • Electrician
  • Electronics Technician
  • Film Animator
  • Fitter and Turner
  • Fitter / Welder
  • Medical Diagnostic Radiographer / Medical Radiation Therapist
  • Motor Mechanic
  • Plumber
  • Registered Nurse
  • Senior Test Analyst
  • Structural Engineer
  • University or Higher Education Lecturer/Tutor
  • Veterinarian.

For more information, see China Skilled Workers Category.

For more information about the FTA, visit

[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]